What next?

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 20:20:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:02 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:00:42 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > We don't have the ressources for the "one linux model"
>
> Given that reducing duplication would increase resources, I don't see why
> not.

> Right now for packaging you guys are choosing path (1). But it's worse
> than with desktops: there it was only really KDE vs GNOME, but here it's
> Fedora vs Ubuntu vs Gentoo vs Mandrake vs SUSE and so on. So the
> duplication of effort and cloning of each others work is much worse.

Getting people to the table for packaging architecture stack is going to
be hard.  I'm certainly happy to talk to people, but there has to be
serious enough interest on all sides.

As far as the packaging cf freedesktop stuff goes, I spoke with some
people a while back on this front.  With fd.o

a) the wheel was getting reinvented
b) each party's implementation had something the other lacked and vice
versa
c) doing it within each project was causing integration issues

Certainly you could argue similarly for packaging.

> In other words, Thomas is right, we need "1 Linux". Not one distro, but
> one set of standards people can write packages and installers to.

Theoretically we have that with LSB packages but that's not the reality.
If you are arguing for get people talking fine - point me at the list.
The metadata list had some cross distribution interest and it's still
ticking along, but keeping people co-operating is the hard one.

The main obstacles are going to be convincing people that having shared
components makes their life better.  Some parts of the packaging fit
into this, but it'll take some time.

So point me at the list.

Paul