What next?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 23:35:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:57 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > In other words, Thomas is right, we need "1 Linux". Not one distro, but
> > one set of standards people can write packages and installers to.
>
> Just to clarify - I do not actually feel that we need "1 linux".  I'm
> just saying that the reason things aren't as easy as on mac is because
> there is not just "1 linux".  Personally, I'm completely fine with linux
> being a thriving ecosystem, and for daily use I stick to using Fedora +
> extras, knowing that this is a window on the larger ecosystem that Just
> Works.

Yes, and this is exactly the thing that makes Linux being Linux.
Otherwise there are plenty of other operating systems which do it the
"one way" style.

So please, if you want to have only one Linux, choose another operating
system and don't take the choice from us.

P.S. I don't think there shouldn't be more standards here or there, but
generaly the idea of only one Linux takes the essential point of Linux
existence away.

--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>