Wish list

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jun 5 20:44:57 UTC 2005

Mike Lurk wrote:

> This is my wish list for Fedora Core.
>
> 1. download and install from cd or dvd (this already works 99.9% of
> the time, depending on hardware)
> 2. Ease of use, ( not for a new Linux user, but getting there)
> 3. Easy to install new software, (not quite, but very close).
>
> Oh what the hell, Linux will not go anywhere until the hardware
> manufacturers will give the end user the option and support for Linux
> (be it Fedora, Mandrake, Suse or any other flavour of Linux). As it
> stands now Windows (yuck) is the only option. Who says there is no
> monopoly on the OS that is installed on, lets say a Dell for arguments
> sake, a Notebook. Try to purchase a notebook with no OS, impossible.
> About the only way to do that is to buy a build your own desktop PC
> and be damned with the likes of Dell, HP/Compaq, and Sony, as well as
> others.
>
> Sorry for the ranting and raving, but Linux is the best OS out there,
> my choice is Fedora Core, and Windose is the only choice for end
> users, poor them. How many people actually know that there is an
> alternative OS besides Windose. None, nobody, nada, ziltch. No one
> promotes it in any way.
>
> On that note that is my biggest wish, PROMOTE LINUX.

You've got some fire in you.  Subscribe to fedora-marketing-list.

I tend to disagree on some aspects.  I think Fedora Core is starting to
be good enough for end users.  I sell computers, and offer both Windows
and Linux on them.  Some people haven't even heard of Linux or Fedora,
but choose it to save money.  Others have heard of Linux but not used
it, and welcome the opportunity to try it out.  I have gotten a small
number of questions regarding the differences between the two systems,
but I have not yet had a complaint that some piece of hardware
absolutely would not work (we set up everything before the computer
leaves the shop) and have never had someone dissatisfied with Fedora
Core.  I think that's very impressive.  You'd be surprised by how many
people have heard of Linux and heard good things.  They often just don't
know where to look.  BTW, we do sell laptops with no operating system. ;-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com