Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 21:27:38 UTC 2005

> Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> (thebs413 at earthlink.net) said:
> > I'm a long-time lurker (and long-time general annoyance) to many, but I
> > would _love_ to start to tackle a fully LSB-compliant/ideal init with
> > dependency checking, etc... for FC5+.  I probably force bash (and even
> > legacy Bourne sh on non-Linux) far more than I should (although I'll
> > break out the Perl and, gasp, C when needbe), so I think this is right
> > up my part-time (maybe 10 hours/week) alley if I could be any
> > assistance to the team.
>
> Well, there are some plans here. They don't usually involve bash,
> though, and generally consist of migrating to a completely different
> framework, with support for legacy installation concerns such
> as LSB compatibility and the current init-style scripts.
>
> > So count me in (and who's currently working on this?)!
>
> No one, just yet. :)

Well we do have the session work somewhat done in an experimental stage.
We are targeting the session for dependency loading of session services
a) to make the session startup stuff more robust and b) to see if the
idea will fly for more complex situations such as a replacement for
init.  I gave a short 5 minute talk on it at GUADEC.  You can check out
the video here:

http://stream.fluendo.com/archive/6uadec/Lightning_Talks.ogg

Mine is 32 minutes and 30 seconds in.

Basically while most of the code can't be reused (glib dependencies)
the methods and policies created here will be able to be transported to
a system wide service framework.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer