Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue Jun 7 18:23:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith at ieee.org) said:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 16:55 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Well, there are some plans here. They don't usually involve bash,
> >
> > Well, I'm half-way decent at system-level C (even some real-time
> > experience), as well as Perl, but no Python though (one of these
> > days).
> >
> > > though, and generally consist of migrating to a completely different
> > > framework, with support for legacy installation concerns such
> > > as LSB compatibility and the current init-style scripts.
> >
> > So the base won't be traditional System-V init?
>
> Correct. (Well, the core *init* under everything may or may not
> change; but it certainly won't be the same interface from userland.)

Is this going to be based on / similar to anything existing, or something
new entirely?

So far, everything you've said is sounding a *lot* like the redone
services stuff in Solaris 10. The main difference would just be the use of
D-BUS for communication rather than the Solaris-specific stuff SMF
uses (svc.startd, mainly)....

See <http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1985/6mhm8o5n0?a=view> for an
overview of svcs, svcadm, svccfg, etc

As an added benefit, the architecture Sun has for all this really has
drastically reduced boot times (which I know is always a complaint people
seem to have on Linux for some reason). Solaris 9 -> Solaris 10 went from
~3 minutes to ~25 seconds to boot (from the OBP to login prompt) on one of
my workstations, for example

later,
chris