Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Jun 7 21:09:52 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net> said:
> OpenSSL _is_ a BSD-style license and GPL compatible.

The OpenSSL license is an old-style BSD type license with the
advertising clause, which I understand to be incompatible with the GPL.
That's part of why some programs are moving to the (LGPLed) GNU TLS
library instead.

> If something it going to go into init, IMHO, it had better be GPL or at
> least GPL compatible.

If it requires random services to link or include the code, it should
probably be BSD (non-advertising clause).  Otherwise, things like Oracle
won't be able to start at boot.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>