OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 15:43:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 07:58 -0400, Sean wrote:

> No, that's a false analogy.  There are _real_ risks when running binary
> only modules in kernel-mode.

I can testify to this.
With the NVidia kernel module - Tux Racer was rather sweet, but programs
unrelated to video were sometimes segfaulting. Other applications - such
as my e-mail client - would suddenly become unresponsive for 10 to 15
seconds.

Reverting to the nv driver and all those issues just "went away".

Who could help with the issues I was having with nvidia?
Not my operating system vendor - they (Fedora) don't have access to the
source.
I could file a bug report with nvidia, but that never lead to an
improvement - until the next release, which solved some things and
introduced others.

With the nv.ko module - tux racer sucks, but the system is rock solid
stable.