gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 06:59:54 UTC 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 06:28:15 -0700, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>The question is what kind of error messages do you get
>>from the loki installers if gtk1 is not installed on
>>the system already.
>

> Good question! Some of them are statically linked with GTK 1.2, I think
> it's a build time configuration option. I just renamed my copy and ran one
> Loki Setup, this is what I got:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
> [other stuff that's probably unrelated snipped]
>
> But the GUI appeared anyway. So I'm not sure what it's doing - trying to
> use the systems copy and otherwise falling back to a builtin one?
>
> Then I tried another, for the game "Dark Horizons Lore" and it didn't show
> the GTK UI, but it still "worked" in that it fell back to an ncurses based
> install.
>
> This was the error:
> /root/.setup4665: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0:
>
> Text based installers for games are from the DOS era though. I don't think
> that should be counted as working.

Let me show you what "could" be done for the desktop user, who cannot
read terminal output, as he does not use a terminal:

The dynamic loader, which raises "error while loading shared libraries:
libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory" could send a message on the user's session DBUS with a helper
tool (exec "/bin/error-shared-lib-not-found").

A small helper app listens on the user's session DBUS for such a message
and presents a gui dialog to the user stating: "Application foo needs
the library bar to run.". It can offer the user to search the rpmdb and
the internet repos for this file and, if found, to install the
appropriate rpm package with all its dependencies.

Just a thought, but quite useful for any unexperienced linux user :)