Smart package manager (was Re: Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?))

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Fri Jun 10 10:29:13 UTC 2005

Colin Charles wrote:

>Just to make it clear, Ubuntu just has: dpkg/apt, Synaptic, and
>update-notifier, right?
>
>We (will) have: rpm/yum, s-c-packages(okay, pup), and pup's
>update-notifier

1. I'd like to add smart install to Extras.

- It's written by the author of Synaptic and principal maintainer of
apt-get for RPM
- Its a replacement for yum / apt-get / up2date / synaptic / etc.
- It has both a CLI and GUI interface.
- The GUI version is GTK2, and looks exactly like Synaptic (oddly enough
being written by the same author).
- It works with Yum metadata repositories.
- Its faster than yum and apt-get as it downloads from multiple sources
simultaneously.

I've been using it on Rawhide for months and it's fast, simple, and
reliable.

2. What's pup? Where can I find out more about it? What's it's
relationship to s-c-p?

Mike