Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri Jun 10 15:24:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 June 2005 04:05, "Razvan Corneliu C.R. Vilt"
> <razvan.vilt at linux360.ro> wrote:
> > I hate to be the bad guy over here, but what about something similar
> > with SMF from Solaris. It's by far the best thing for what we need, and
>
> Is this the Solaris feature that so many people complain about because it
> makes changes to a binary file on every boot?

There's an /etc/svc/repository.db that's a transactional db which gets
updated continuously as svc state changes, including at system boot as
svcs start up. There's also a backup of that db made at every boot,
/etc/svc/repository-boot-$timestamp, since if you corrupt
/etc/svc/repository.db you're in trouble (you'll crash down to single-user
at boot and have to restore / regenerate)

I'm not aware of the updating of that file being a cause for major
complaint amongst Solaris types though ;-)

later,
chris