Which patches to apply to source RPMs for a mini KDE?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sun Jun 12 17:01:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 07:27:32 AM -0700, Michael A. Peters
(mpeters at mac.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 12:54 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I want to figure out how to install stable, already packaged
> > versions of only some KDE applications on a Fedora Core 3 system
> > which already has X and Qt.
[...]
> > The purpose is to build a mini-KDe desktop for basic SOHO
> > applications which has modern functionality (gpg, Khtml, Imap
> > OpenDocument support...) but is as light as possible on RAM and
> > hard drive.
>
> Many apps are linked against libraries as a compile time detection - and
> the same package can be built so it is NOT linked against the libraries.
>
> The way to do it is to remove the BuildRequires for those packages and
> build in mach - that way the resulting rpm's won't be linked against the
> optional libraries you don't want.
>
> You also could disable the optional libraries explicitly in the spec
> spec file at the configure line.

Michael,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I will experiment as you suggest, but
what did you exactly mean with the "build in mach" bit above? I
understand the rest of your message, but that piece of sentence
confused me...

Related question: is there anything I could read to understand a
priori, with the smallest number of trial and errors, what can be
unlinked? I am prepared to try them one at a time, if really needed,
but if there is a way around...

Thanks again,
       Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

None can love freedom heartily but good men; the rest love not freedom
but license.                                               John Milton