OT: nVidia driver -- everything but open source is slavery?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jun 13 15:17:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 10:06 -0500, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> From: Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org>
> > Chosing slavery is not a freedom, it's waiving freedom.
>
> This is _exactly_ the type of non-sense I'm talking about!
> By the same definition, you can call "working" as "slavery."

Under a certain light yes, why should one _have_ to work for a living?
I'd rather have time to program Free Software :)

> Are you entitled to free drivers that are Open Source?

I'm entitled to freedom. Signing my soul away isn't freedom, is
accepting subjugation to power.

> Either you pay ATI, Matrox, nVidia, etc... for their latest efforts.
> Or you wait on the efforts of others in the community, possibly
> helping them as well.

I don't mind paying, I'm not talking about software obtained for gratis.
Hell, I wouldn't mind paying another 100€ for Free Software drivers for
the GeForce2MX that I don't have anymore instead of having payed another
150€ for an Ati Radeon 7500 that has Free Software drivers.

> You are _not_ entitled to "free money" by not working anymore

No.

> than you are _not_ entitled to Open Source on every, latest
> innovation.

Everyone is entitled to freedom. Choosing convenience in spite of
freedom is absurd, advocating this kind of choice is immoral.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?