A map of Fedora packages and dependencies

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 14:53:34 UTC 2005

>Would it be possible to map out the package dependencies in Fedora by
>doing rpm queries and forming a directed graph of the results? (by using
>graphviz or something like that)

Yes you can. rpmgraph will give you the "runtime" dependencies. But if you are
looking for the build dependencies, the Rookery build system has a tool in it for
this purpose. http://www.web-insights.net/rookery/

What you will need to do is setup a repo of all the srpms. Then do the prep for
build, and maybe even the check for build. Go into the analyze menu and it can do
the whole repo, or just 1 package's dependencies. The 1 package can give you
either the dependencies from that package back to nothing, or you can see what
depends on that package, or both. This removes the clutter and lets you see the
relationships that a particular package has.

I have an example for mkinitrd here:
http://www.web-insights.net/rookery/mkinitrd.dep.gz

and server portion of FC3:
http://www.web-insights.net/rookery/fc3.ps.gz

I have tools halfway complete to really tighten up the dependencies. Both in
terms of build and runtime. I will try to finish these during the FC5 development
cycle to get correct dependency information added back to the packages.

-Steve Grubb