reverted back to old browser start functionality + startup notification rant

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Tue Jun 21 18:37:12 UTC 2005

With FC3 the launcher script would check to see if firefox was already
running and if so, it would simply open a new window.  Now FC4 is back
to the old way where it attempts to do startup notification and hijacks
the cursor with the 'hour glass' until startup notification times out.
I wish I didn't feel like gnome startup notification was a huge hack,
but I do (can it just be disabled?).  Yet, when I click on a url in
gaim, or evo it opens it properly in a new tab or window (according to
my tab browser preferences). What gives? I would assume they all execute
the same script right?  Also is it entirely necessary for startup
notification to hijack the cursor with the hourglass just because a
program is starting?  Is it unreasonable that i'd want to immediately go
to the Applications menu and open another application while the other is
device. :)