Kolab 2 Groupware released

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to
Wed Jun 22 03:40:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 10:22 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

[snip]

> Oh, and without trying to start (the inevitable ;-]) flame-war is there
> any likely hood of Kolab supporting evolution (or the other way round
> depending on how it needs to happen).
>
> I couldn't see anything on the Kolab wiki under client support.
>
> I would guess that this would be important for Fedora as gnome is the
> default desktop and evolution is (as such) the default groupware client.
>
> I guess this raises the big question - is Fedora looking to include a
> groupware server as part of the Core packages and if so, what is being
> considered?

  I believe it was discussed some time ago, but no consensus was really
reached, though I think there was a slight leaning towards
OpenGroupware.  One thing I think there *was* a consensus on at the time
is the *none* of the FOSS groupware servers were really ready for prime
time.  Or even for Fedora Core time ;-).
  The situation may now be different.  I don't know, it's been a while
since I've looked at any of them.  But unless Kolab has moved more
towards standardized operation (i.e.: no weird hacked usage of IMAP
folders, or something like that, I can't member), then I'd lean heavily
away from it.
  In most cases, I'd say it would be alright to include two suites that
do similar things in Extras, but if they are BIG (like OpenGroupware),
then I'd hesitate.  Still, I wouldn't oppose both (or more?) being
included in Extras.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator