Fedora Core LT

OmniUni omniuni at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 17:57:12 UTC 2005

I have worked often on computers that are not the greatest when it comes to
the specs. Because of this, I thought that it would be a good idea to have a
2 CD, light-weight version of Fedora Core. I set myself to putting together
just such a system, and you will find a list of the packages attached,
called package-selection.txt. All toghether, the packages total only 1383
MB. If some packages need to be removed to fit on two CD's, I reccommend
removing xmms, Abiword, Gnumeric, kdegraphics, and inkscape first. These
packages, along with their dependencies, are nearly 40 MB. It is my hope
that this can become a Fedora Core LT branch that will allow many more
people to use Fedora Core. Here are some notes on the package list:

   - A calculator needs to be added
   - KDE default theme should be changed to Plasik
   - Available window managers: Fluxbox, XFCE4, KDE
   - Available office apps: OpenOffice, Abiword, Gnumeric
   - Available media apps include: GIMP, Inkscape, KolourPaint,
   KSnapshot, Noatun, XMMS
   - Available internet apps include: Firefox, Thunderbird, GAIM,
   Konqueror
   - Other Apps: yum, K3B, KSysGuard, system-config-display etc.
   - If it does not fit on two CD's, please try to remove these apps
   first: inkscape, kdegraphics, abiword, gnumeric, xmms

To try this package selection, print out added-yum.txt. Then perform a
minimal install and run "yum install [packagecommand]" for each line in the
printed added-yum.txt, where [packagecommand] is replaced by each line of
the document.Change the default runlevel to 5, and you're ready to go! The
list of commands is actually not too long.

Good Luck, and I hope that this is useful.
Please respond with thoughts, comments, suggestions, whatever... (maybe even
some iso's! :D )

Sincerely,
OmniUni