Cairo [was: rawhide report: 20050621 changes]

Sat Jun 25 19:42:31 UTC 2005

Le samedi 25 juin 2005 à 15:09 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 20:49 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > It's kind of sad that the Gnome project chooses to piss off a great part
> > of its users every release for stuff no one really cares about (except
> > could we have some behaviour stability please) but all its grand plans
> > still do not seem to include a working font setup.
>
> Nicolas, this is *rawhide*.  It's under development.  There will be
> bugs.  Flaming the developers does not help.  Reporting useful,
> informative bugs in Bugzilla does.

I know there are and will be bugs (after more than 7 years of rawhide
desktop I think I know what to expect). However at some point in time
rawhide was declared to be "dogfoodable". Font rendering is part of my
small must-work private perimeter.

It's pretty sad that after Keith provided us a top-notch font subsystem
app writers still to not take advantage of it properly. But somehow
managing this properly is always pretty low on the todo list.

I'm starting to feel we'll be plagued by text rendering problems till
it's made a release priority like UTF-8 was. Seems not sexy enough for
people to fix it otherwise.

--
Nicolas Mailhot