Fedora Core LT

OmniUni omniuni at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 00:53:28 UTC 2005

Linux and Open Source are about choice.
Fedora Core LT would be about lightness.

GNOME is without a doubt the heaviest window manager available on Linux.
OpenOffice is not a light office suite.

OpenOffice is included because it is almost a must. There are so many
formats that it handles, and so much better than Abiword and Gnumeric, that
it pretty much had to be included. These two apps are there because of their
lightness. They could, however, be easily changed to KOffice.

The original package set that I made included only two window managers,
fluxbox and XFCE. They are very different, and though XFCE is my personal
choice, fluxbox was a very small package to include, and provides the choice
of window managers for even very slow computers.

Why KDE? I could easily have chosen GNOME instead but I did not. There are
two reasons. First, GNOME is much heavier than KDE. In recent releases, KDE
is surprisingly fast for such a multi-talented WM. Also, including KDE
allowed me to use some of the fantastic apps that come with it. For example,
kdegraphics is less than 8 megabytes, but adds such programs as KView,
KolourPaint, KIconEditor, and more. kdemultimedia is the same. Also,
including KDE makes the distro suitable for even new users on older
machines.

It is my hope that as FC-LT would develop, that it would gain such
attributes at it's own lighter kernel, a more refined package selection.

I hope that this answers some of your questions. If you have any more- just
send!!

Sincerely,
OmniUni

Oh, and btw, all packages are in either Fedora Core Base or Extras. Fedora
Core packages would all be compatable with FC-LT. Therefore, it can
certainly be called a Fedora Core.