ISV approach on C++ compatibility (was Re: C++ compatibility package dropped)

Mircea MITU mmitu at bitdefender.com
Mon Jun 27 04:01:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 00:04 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> It's that time again! Fedora Core 4 no longer installs the
> compat-libstdc++ package by default, meaning that any users who
> install
> or run a C++ app which was built using GCC 3.3 or lower is now greeted
> with an incomprehensible and unhelpful error (or nothing, if they use
> the
> GUI).
>
> C++ is used by a lot of games and other commercial apps.

As an ISV, our approach was to document this issue in our Knowledge Base
and product documentation, to show relevant error messages at install
time and to explain this behavior to our users. So far, nobody cried and
all BitDefender users were able to install the proper compat-libstdc
package, with or without our help.

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/