C++ compatibility package dropped

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Jun 28 14:22:53 UTC 2005

Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> From: "Jakub Jelinek" <jakub at redhat.com>
> > As long as the legacy programs people are installing are packaged
> > as rpm, yum or other package managers can handle the dependencies
> > just fine, so I don't see how is that a silent break.
> > If not using a package manager, you take the responsibility
> > of satisfying the dependencies yourself.

> That doesn't mean breaking things on purpose.

Isn't, AFAICS.

> Pissing off customers is not The Right Thing (TM),
> last time I've checked.

Right.

> Waiting a few more years before yanking system libs
> from under people's feet would be the more prudent
> thing to do. And it costs so little, it's not even
> funny that it's not being considered.

This is /Fedora/, commited to being bleeding edge (or thereabouts). So the
"have everybody retain libraries for some years for nostalgia's sake"
doesn't belong here. Sure, perhaps making a group of "legacy libraries,
needed for some third party software" stand out when installing might be a
good idea.