fedora-devel-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 86

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 1 09:03:41 UTC 2005

On Mar 1 mars 2005 5:02, Michael A. Peters a écrit :

> On 02/28/2005 08:06:32 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> > Well if it's so great why isn't all the java and server stuff
>> placed
>> in
>> > Extras? Developers and sys-admins know how to find stuff.
>>
>> I believe the reason for this was already discussed in this list.
>> basically this is the first time Free java has become good enough to
>> be shipped with a distro and since fedora developers did the major
>> work in bringing it up to this point they want to push it better.
>
> I think most Java stuff belongs in JPackage.org - and that JPackage.org
> should have a repo file in default install. That may not happen because
> RH does not have oversight of JPackage.org - but I do think that is the
> best way to do java. A JRE with browser plugin in core though I think
> would be the right thing, but everything else Java, it really should
> (imho) leverage the JPackage "package ecosystem", which really rocks.

I can tell you Red Hat can influence pretty heavily JPackage right now, if
only because some of the most active contributors these days are @hat
people (Suse/Novell & Mandrake are welcome too but so far they've
committed far less resources than RH).

Now due the way JPP is organised we're very good for stuff that is
distro-independant but very bad for stuff like native builds that must be
rebuilt separately for each distros (just consider the time it took for FE
to get its build infrastructure in place, and it had the backing of a real
corp behind).

So for now we need Fedora so gcj/native builds can be tried and take off.
JPP's contribution is more a pool of noarch packages and  a place were rpm
distros can try to sync a bit than a full FOSS ready-to-use java
repository.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot