Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 14:29:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:24:40AM -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> dovecot - IPAP server - 2 objections, but if you can server to the
> internet, you can download it from extras.  Ether this or cyrus should
> be cut.

Cyrus should go then. Dovecot works for any user but Cyrus requires an expert
to set up its way of doing things.

> *lynx/elinks - 1 objection about scripts using lynx... ether those
> scripts are not part of core or they are not marked correctly.  If you
> can surf the web with either, you can download them from extras.  If
> either has a dependancy in core the .src.rpm needs to be corrected.
> Personally I think lynx should go to extras.*

Lynx is essential for blind users, elinks could go.

> *New additions to the likley list*
> dmalloc, valgrind - electricence appears to be more compatible and
> better developed.
> freeglut - library with no dependancy in core

Freeglut is basically expected to be part of an OS with OpenGL

> giftrans - netpbm tools can do the same

netpbm tools are garbage, lose netpbm instead. netpbm security is abysmal
and functionality iffy.

> iptstate - package getting stale
> jed - another text mode editor
> joe - yet another text editor ( nano / pico / emacs / ed / vi )
> lftp - useful ftp client ( ftp, ncftp ) D:0

As a heavyweight joe user I still agree it should be extras

> MAKEDEV - Superceeded by udev ?

Not always and tiny

> *VFlib2 - Required by MajicPoint and ghostscript - only if we can break
> the ghostscript compatibility
> + MagicPoint - Duplicated functionality already in other packages

Not duplicated at all. May be appropriate for extras for other reasons but
there is no duplication between mgp and openoffice because openoffice can't
do most of what mgp can do and vice versa

> awesfx - OLD ( 2000 ) D:0

Needed for SB64 still

> cdecl - C/C++ to English conversion D:0

Tiny

> autorun - functionality in most desktops already d:0

Should go - its dangerous anyway

> ftpcopy - utility D:0.  I have never used it, do we need in core

ssh + rsync nowdays

Alan