doing something with /etc/security/access.conf

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Mar 1 16:11:18 UTC 2005

One of the admins here pointed out to me that /etc/security/access.conf
isn't actually referenced by the default PAM config at all.

I checked in bugzilla, and found bug #13245, and bug #19839, both of which
are basically resolved as "yep, that's not referenced by the default config
at all".

*Should* this file be included in system-auth (or at least login's and
sshd's pam conf), or is it just "yet another access control mechanism and
we've already got a dozen of those and that would just further confuse
people"?

I think that if not, the comment in the file should be changed to mention
that it's not used in the default Fedora/RH config.

Anyone have any opinion on this?