Hacking modversions

Fernando Herrera fherrera at onirica.com
Tue Mar 1 22:56:52 UTC 2005

El mar, 01-03-2005 a las 20:42 +0000, David Woodhouse escribió:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 18:43 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > This solves the following problem:
> >
> > Bill sets up a Linux system for Sally. She does a "yum upgrade" because
> > she knows it's important to stay up to date to be secure. The kernel is
> > changed, and as a result various things break even though the update was
> > fixing a race condition in a syscall implementation. She does not
> > know how to fix it.
>
> Bill was wrong here to leave Sally with a Linux system which relies on
> stuff which is not in the standard kernel. If she's going to use binary-
> only crap he might as well have installed Windows for her.

	Then, if we cannot stop breaking this modules we should think about
creating a little graphical tool for compiling/recompiling external
kernel modules (maybe a magic app and ugly application finding
makefiles, or some special file, dunno). But if Sally bought a webcam
that is not supported by the standard kernel, should we say to her
"Don't use linux, use Windows"?

Salu2