fedora on a flash drive

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Mon Mar 7 23:56:47 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 17:32, DW wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 17:13 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> > Flash is probably the last thing to use for anything critical,
> > especially if you're concerned about voltage fluctuations.
>
> I assume you mean CompactFlash, not just 'flash'?

My own experiences with failure have been in a few of the more
popular microcontroller's that have suffered from relatively minor
fluctuating voltage levels that I wouldn't have expected to result
in corrupted data.  I'd trust flash in situations where what's
stored there can be rebuilt, say, from ROM, HD, or transferred in
over some type of communications port.  I wouldn't trust it "never
to fail", as it just seems to corrupt too often.

Regards, Mike Klinke