Bug Reporting Question

Dave Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 15:21:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:06, David Cary Hart wrote:
> I installed Evolution 2.2 today (which is remarkably stable). Do I
> report bugs to Fedora, Ximian or both?
It sounds like you built it yourself, in which case report bugs upstream
to bugzilla.ximian.com (I built "official" evo 2.2 packages yesterday;
they landed in Rawhide this morning).

Otherwise, if using a Fedora package, you have to make an judgement call
as to whether the problem is specific to Fedora, or a general problem
from upstream, and file accordingly.

Of course, this assumes you have a fair knowledge of the internals of
the code/packaging process etc which many users won't have (and probably
shouldn't be expected to).  Ideally you should check both upstream and
downstream bugzillas for duplicates.

When in doubt, file upstream (bugzilla.ximian.com for Evolution), and
make it clear which distro the problem was seen on, and exactly which
package.  If it looks like I've messed up the build or there's some
other Fedora-specific problem, then file in bugzilla.redhat.com - but we
try to do as much as possible upstream.

And if a bug seems to us to be in the wrong bugzilla, we'll try to
refile it.

Hope all that makes sense

Dave