A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Wed Mar 9 15:35:17 UTC 2005

 From what I can tell nobody is interested in implementing a rpm.diff
system right now (please correct me if I am wrong).

One of the problems raised in earlier threads is that the RPMs need to
be available on the updating computer to apply the patches to.

It is feasible -- if such a system can be demonstrated to work -- to
have the option at install time to keep the RPMs of installed packages
on disk? Sure, there is a disk space penalty -- but for a dialup user
the bandwidth savings would make up for that. Even with my 512Kbps DSL
line I find the OpenOffice upgrades burdensome.

Also having the signed RPMs on disk may have other uses: eg verify the
integrity of an installation (compare files with those in the RPM).
Fix/refresh installation.. etc.

Joe.