rawhide report: 20050310 changes

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Fri Mar 11 17:52:21 UTC 2005

I this this whole thread just echoed the fact that we need to evaluate
how kernels get installed and updated.  The current solution works, but
is tenuous at best and can break systems.  We need a better way,
possibly have a way for rpm to link to other rpm's so that yum
understands that you are now dealing with a situation where updating one
without the other could be a problem.  I could see that feature benefit
other parts of the system where tight coupling between two packages
could take place.

The other issue that yum needs to address at some point is security
updates vs everything else.  I may wish to only take updates that close
actual or theoretical security issues and right now I would have to sift
through every package that needs updating to see if that is the case.

Cheers,
Eric