yum/python/sqlite b0rkage in Rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:41:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:28:27 -0800, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Downloaded and installed. Still fails with sqlite confusion:
>
> Guessing needs more than just fixing the requires....

the weird part is... this started with the name change of the sqlite package.
Not that I am encouraging anyone to attempt this.. because if you do
it wrong rpm stops working... but if you force the downgrade of just
the sqlite package back to sqlite3 everything works again. Which seems
a bit odd to me. Its almost like the new sqlite package included more
than just a name change.

The old sqlite3 package provides the same set of libraries as the
renamed sqlite which the _sqlite.so from python-sqlite AND
python-sqlite3 happily link against.
/usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.0 is the specific library of interest I think.

Disregarding packaging deps for yum and python-sqlite/python-sqlite3 I can get
yum-2.3.1-2 or yum-2.3.1-1
with python-sqlite or python-sqlite3
with sqlite3 working
using rpm-4.4.1-7

No combination of packages provides a working yum with the renamed
sqlite package on my system.   Naively this makes me think that
something significant changed inside the sqlite package when it was
renamed to sqlite from sqlite3.

Let me repeat my previous dire warning.  If anyone wants to attempt to
reproduce my results for confirmation.... make sure you backup
/usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.0 first before you start trying to force a
downgrade of sqlite to sqlite3. rpm will not start unless
/usr/lib/libsqlite3.so.0 is there to link against so make sure you
make a backup copy of that library to use in case it gets erased
during your testing operations.

-jef"a sqlite3 package by any othername, appearently don't smell as
sweet as you would think"spaleta