A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Paul A. Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 16 16:18:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:06:55 +0000, Joe Desbonnet <jdesbonnet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Keeping a GB or two of RPMs on disk to enable this to happen is, I
> believe, a very small price to pay -- especially if the user can
> choose if they want to or not.  I disagree that Windows does not
> require you to keep your OS distribution on disk. I believe most
> machines sold with XP come with complete re-install kits, often kept
> in a hidden partition.

	Well that's really an interesting idea.  If we're going to keep a copy of
the rpms around,  we might as well get the most milage we can out of them.

	I don't really know if it would help me in my real use scenarios.  When
I've had a Linux install trashed it's either been a blown disk or hacked
machine (who knows what they'll do to the reinstall kit.)