OpenNTPD inclusion on Fedora Core

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:01:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:46:34 -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> I think there's been some discussion before. I'm basically for it, although
> we wouldn't want to jump ship on the existing, working program without some
> good testing. Perhaps the best approach interim approach is to configure the
> existing ntp with the 'alternatives' system a la sendmail/postfix/exim, and
> then add openntpd to extras?

A move to openntpd without careful consideration would be a major
mistake.  OpenNTP has the advantage of simplicity, but it lacks much
of the algorithmic sophistication in the official NTPv4. For example,
the huff/puff filter which does a great job of improving NTP
performance for hosts on tight pipes. This will translate into worse
time keeping, increased levels of ntp related network traffic, and
worse handling of network outages. (more accurate clocks need less
frequent updates, on most systems once locked ntpd is pretty good at
keeping subsecond alignment even if the network is gone for a long
chunk of time)

If we are willing to throw away the algorithmic sophistication of
ntpd, then we should strongly consider just implementing a SNTP
client.  A sntp client would meet the basic clock setting needs of
most users, and would be even simpler than the openntp client. It
would also avoid misleading users by failing to provide the level of
algorithmic sophistication  expected from ntpd.

I wasn't aware of NTP being a substantial security worry,  I think
there is still a lot of mileage to be had with the existing app before
complete replacement is needed.