Q on yum cleanup

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:35:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:21:17 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot
<Nicolas.Mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> OTOH a shorthand for --exclude would be welcome.
> Sometimes on rawhide you end up with several lines of this stuff just to
> get around a bad build state.

I think designing features specifically meant to make it easy to
workaround typical rawhide breakage.. is probably not a good way to go
about picking features to expose to users out of the metaphysical
feature multiverse... even in a cli interface.

Would it be better to move away from the --exclude list concept
completely, and have yum report back to you a list of packages that
can not be updated and give you a chance to exclude the whole list
interactively and proceed with the rest of the updates?

<me>yum update
...yum thinks a bit...
<yum>dude there are like 17 out of 34 packages i can't actually update
because of unresolvable deps. Heres the list:
....yum lists packages that can not be updated....
<yum>Would you like me to exclude this set of packages and attempt to
update the rest?
<me> uhm... sure.
...yum thinks a bit...
<yum>Here are the list of 17 package updates for you to review would
you like to proceed?
<me>yes
...yum continues as usual...

-jef