RPM installed but unowned files and dirs

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Mar 25 07:04:21 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:05:25 +0100, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>>I'm not claiming this is a perfect list, but most are real bugs, I've
>>already removed the easy not an FC bug candidates from the list, but
>>missed this one.
>

> I wonder... is this a job for the repoquery script that people have
> been pimping?
> Can we get a full summary of information about unowned directories by
> examining the owned files of all the packages in Core and seeing which
> directory trees are explicitly not included in that list? Instead of
> doing a full install running rpm -qf like mad?  If we can script this
> with repoquery just against the repository metadata it will be far
> easier for everyone to keep up with this as packages churn.

That could work, I was actually thinking about making rpmbuild check for
unowned dirs during rpm building, like it does for unpackaged files now.

The idea: If a package contains a file which is in a dir (component)
which is not owned by, filesystem or any of its dependencies, complain.
Preferrably complain loudly (as in refuse to write the final RPM)

Regards,

Hans