kernel source code

not disclosed n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:48:50 UTC 2005

Just so you all know - yes I do need the whole source code to compile my
drivers - also I do know that <most> people won't need the kernel-sourcecode
and that the headers will suffice but this isn't the case here. <most>
people won't be compiling drivers anyway.  As for the convenience (it isn't
hard to put a link in.... etc) no it isn't but it is a time wasting pain in
the arse to find out where rpm puts all this rubbish - just because I use FC
doesn't mean I am endowed with special pyschic powers that mean I (end user)
automatically know what (you developer / packager) know and therefore it
isn't reasonable to assume that I know where to put the link - it takes time
to find this out and this is wasted time.

In order to save people the deadful inconvenience of downloading the kernel
source as opposed to the kernel headers you could just tell people that -
the kernel-sourcecode package still remains useful and a valuable time
saving resource.

I am detecting a degree of hostility from the posts I have received, a kind
of "if you don't do it our way get stuffed" attitude which is rather
unhelpful and rather charmless.  I am guessing that if this is
representative of the powers that be in the FC development community that
the chances of the the kernel source code  being put back in the distro are
rather slim at this point.  In which case thanks very much for nothing, I'll
find another distro.

SA