kernel source code

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 30 13:25:03 UTC 2005

On Mer 30 mars 2005 14:48, not disclosed a écrit :

> Just so you all know - yes I do need the whole source code to compile my
> drivers - also I do know that <most> people won't need the
> kernel-sourcecode
> and that the headers will suffice but this isn't the case here. <most>
> people won't be compiling drivers anyway.

Right. And because yours is the exceptionnal case, there is no reason for
the distribution to bend over to accomodate you.

Building external modules is a dangerous and intrusive operation - you
should not do it if you do not know what you're doing, and that includes
understanding a minimum your distribution inner workings - of which rpm is
a key part.

I find it rather strange that after claiming you have to maintain several
systems running Fedora you display such a strong aversion to rpm. rpm is
the core tech used to ease (multiple) software deployments on rpm-based
distributions. If you can't stand Fedora's way of managing software, why
the heck are you running several FC instances in the first place ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot