Duplicated files in the pristine FC4t2 installation

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon May 2 20:16:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 12:28 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I think what one clearly wants is for rpm to maintain an installed file
> indexed keyed by md5sum.  Then you can have a tool that just uses this
> database to identify duplicates (and doesn't take forever), or have rpm do
> so itself when installing new files.

You already have sufficient data in the rpmdb, the problem is you've
either got to:

a) change rpm to do all the work itself, and probably make this an
option you can override with a either your environment/macros or some
flag in the package -- the rules there get complicated quickly...

or b) make it possible and safe to query the rpm db from a %post.

Either of those is a bit "ewww".

--
        Peter