(perl update clash) FC3 x86_64 Important Announcement

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon May 2 22:05:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 11:25:50AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Unfortunately we made a mistake with the original FC3 x86_64 and shipped
> i386 perl by accident when it was never meant to be multilib.  This
> causes updates to clash and fail on FC3 x86_64.  It is wrong to add i386
> perl to that repository, so the only way to recover is to use:
>
> yum remove perl.i386

Aren't these kind of bugs things you have to live with for the rest of
the distro's EOL? E.g. keep perl multilib in FC3, have it fixed in FC4
(and its anaconda) and bite the bullet and provide i386 updates for
another 6 months?

> We are deeply sorry about this inconvenience and will try to avoid this
> from ever happening again in the future.

Fixing bugs by introducing bigger ones is bad. How many users will
really be notified and act accordingly? This will just add more stress
to supporting entities like endless threads on mailing lists rendering
them even more useless.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net