rawhide report: 20050504 changes

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed May 4 15:02:28 UTC 2005

Peter Backlund wrote:
>>evolution-2.2.2-3
>>-----------------
>>* Sat Apr 30 2005 David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> - 2.2.2-3
>>- updated mozilla_build_version to 1.7.7
>

> Any plans to use Firefox as Gecko-provider instead of Mozilla?

This will happen in the FC5 time frame.  I am already working on
splitting these out.

> A boatload of apps require mozilla-nspr/-nss, but afaics the same files
> are provided by firefox:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# for p in `rpm -ql mozilla-nss mozilla-nspr`; do rpm
> -ql firefox | grep `basename $p`; done;
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libnss3.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libnssckbi.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libsmime3.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libsoftokn3.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libssl3.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libnssckbi.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libnspr4.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libplc4.so
> /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.3/libplds4.so

It installs the files, but does not Provide them.  We strip out those
provides in the spec

> Also, apps like epiphany, galeon, yelp and liferea are built against the
> gecko provided by mozilla instead of firefox.

And this is a problem because why?  Firefox 1.0.x and Mozilla 1.7.x are
built off of the same Gecko source (there are a few really minor
differences, but for embedding purposes, the APIs are all the same).
The major differences are in UI and a few UI components, which embeddors
don't, specifically the ones you mentioned, don't care about anyway.
Mozilla Drivers are keeping the two branches (firefox 1.0/aviary and
mozilla 1.7.x) in sync, with embeddors in mind.