Stateless Debian Project

Reuben Moore rmoore at engnuix.com
Fri May 6 05:12:05 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear that the "Fedora" Stateless Linux project will
continue. While I have not had the chance to test it out yet, I am very
interested in it's potential and will most certainly be setting up the
prototype system to start in with any help I can provide in its testing
and or development. (-especially since looking at this lists threads
regarding Fedora's involvement gave me the sense of Fedora/Red Hat
abandonment.)

Not to overdo my concern for this project, but the ability to "throw a
computer out the window" and then be able to "recreate its software,
configuration, and user data bit-for-bit identically on a new piece of
hardware" among other aspects of the project benefits like thin clients
has me stoked. I joined this mailing list exclusively because of the
Stateless Linux project. I can see all the Linux servers at the ISP I
administrate as (cached client) servers today. Not to mention shared
root virtual server environment possibilities.

I've setup  LTSP to wireless laptops for a local golf course lounge room
that has stateless ability so someone screwing with the desktop returned
clean environment for the next persons use. I can see the stateless
solution even better with a more powerful laptop for local cache
snapshot improving on network bandwidth, speed increase, and other
bennies of using the local machine for ALL the processing -and still be
stateless or even thin. I'd like to see Fedora/Red Hat take the cake on
these types of solutions and provide, as mentioned for "goals" in the
StatelessLinux.pdf,  having "out of the box" -designed in as part of an
OS, go head to head with any up and coming competition. See:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/19/0111218&from=rss .
Regardless of the ups and downs of thin client fashion I do not believe
these kind of solutions are going away.

Conclusively,  this email is forwarding to the local LUG in my area to
try and bolster some incentive(revival) of our own (as of lately) Linux
lackluster. Also, given the LUG community in my area has a lot of Debian
users, some of relative links mentioned in these mailings regarding
Stateless Linux accordingly.

Fedora-devel archives for this mailing list reside here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/

Debian links associated in this project here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/statelessdebian/

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

Starting point for Fedora Stateless Linux project information here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/stateless/

Thanks for listening,

-Reuben

PS, lets hear some input on this RPLUG, I'd be happy to do a meeting /
demo of such much like I did with LTSP.