Missing update announcements

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:55:48 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Mike A. Harris <mharris at www.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> Call me crazy, I don't know where I managed to get all these
> ideas from, but it all just came together in my mind
> somehow.[1]  Now that there is at least one theoretical
> solution to the problem, if this solution were to be considered,
> we need the following:
>
> 1) Someone to design the detailed solution
>
> 2) Someone to implement the design and test it
>
> 3) Put the new system in place and start using it.
>
> In #1 and #2 above, "someone" could be either a Red Hat employee
> voluntarily taking on the task on their personal time, or it
> could be a Red Hat employee taking on the task under work time,
> or it could be a person in the community taking on the task.

While I think outside volunteers could take a crack at implementing
and testing a prototype solution outside the RedHat fenceline, some
requirements as to specific implementation details would need to be
communicated from inside the RedHat fenceline before anyone started
working on this.  Especially if at the end of the day this service
needs to be migrated back onto RedHat controlled infrastructure.  If
RedHat wants to avoid a php based solution for example, that should be
communicated up-front when Fedora leadership communicates the task
proposal.   If however Fedora Core leadership is okay with a helper
service that lives outside the RedHat fenceline on a community managed
server then implementation requirements probably aren't as tight as
long as Fedora leadership is confident in the ability of the community
involved in maintaining the service.  Because this is a service that
has to be hosted, this task is a little more complicated than the
boottime graph application project we have seen initiated in the
fedora lists previously.

-jef