/usr/libexec

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Mon May 9 20:41:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 01:42:52AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/05/msg00401.html
>
> I started a discussion on debian-devel about /usr/libexec with the hope of
> getting more compatability between different distributions (different file
> locations are a pain for SE Linux developers).
>
> The conclusion of the discussion at the above URL is that /usr/libexec (as
> used in Fedora) is against the FHS and that we should get the FHS changed if
> we want other distributions to follow our example in this regard.
>
> What's the procedure for submitting a suggestion for a FHS change?

Quoting http://www.pathname.com/fhs/:
    The mailing list [1] is available to discuss interpretations of the
    FHS document and of possible future changes and additions. All
    proposals should be submitted as bugs on bugs.freestandards.org [2]
    using the "FHS" component). To be regarded seriously, proposals
    should include a unified patch to the sgml source (create the
    attachment after you've opened the bug, please do not cut-and-paste
    patches into comments).

Whether the fact that various packages put files under /usr/libexec
reflects a policy we're following for Fedora or is just a mass oversight
is a different question.

HTH,

Nalin