yum very slow

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Wed May 11 08:41:43 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 02:40 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
>

>>Yum seems to be very slow in resolving dependencies. I'm sitting here
>>watching my rawhide test box take over an hour to do the dep resolution
>>for todays updates from rawhide. This is on a box that has a 2.5ghz P4
>>and nothing else running on the machine. this has been occurring for at
>>least a few weeks(or longer). What should I do to get useful information
>>concerning this problem?
>>

>are you sure it's the dep resolution that is slow or is it slowing down
>when it does the header download DURING the dep resolution. I'm making
>that distinction b/c one is a function of code and processor and the
>other is a function of mirror availability and bandwidth.
>
>-sv

here is what it says:
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
(wait an hour + )
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages..

During the wait, there is continuous disk activity.  and no network
activity.
This has been going on for a while (it didn't just start today)
I did a yum clean all to see if it would help but it did not.