tmpwatch and removing directories....

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon May 16 17:43:59 UTC 2005

tmpwatch never seems to remove directories unless I give it the -c flag,
which isn't always what I want to do. (In fact, usually it's not.) I think
the problem is still the one described by Aleksey Nogin in this bug from
July, 2000:

    This problem existed for as long as tmpwatch was in RedHat distribution.
    The problem is that by default tmpwatch uses atime for both files and
    directories. But because tmpwatch is ran daily, the atime for
    directories is always <= 1day, so it never removes them... I believe
    that by default, tmpwatch should use atime for files and mtime for empty
    directories...

Yet, that's marked as fixed in rawhide in August, 2000. Am I missing
something? Thanks....