What happened to pup?

Pedro Lamarão pedro.lamarao at mndfck.org
Sun May 22 19:44:07 UTC 2005

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

[SNIP]

> Today, this is done through the command line. Now, try explaining to
> somebody who hasn't got a clue about computers, how to install a piece
> of software today:
> - open a command line
> - login as root (su -)
> - find the correct package by yum search or other means
> - install it by yum install
> - possibly configure it
> - keep it up2date manually

This usually works just fine in my experience as member of the #fedora
channel. Generally people doesn't seem to have a problem understanding
this procedure.

Maybe the worst problem is finding a repository with a given package,
but Core, Extras and Livna usually do it.

> Or worse:
> - find and download an rpm
> - double click it, find that foo and bar is missing
> - go find foo and bar
> - install foo and bar
> - find that bar needs baz
> - find baz
> - install baz
> - install foo and bar
> - install the initial rpm

The above imply a situation in which the desired software has a
dependency not present in the system.

The Windows solution to this problem is to bundle every needed library
with the application, effectively installing multiple copies of the same
library in the system. Please don't argue that libraries can be
installed in System32 as that is unmanageable in Windows and leads to
DLL Hell, the reason why packages carry their own libraries in the first
place.

How does your solution deal with this situation?

--
 Pedro Lamarão

 "Merda faz as flores crescerem
  e isso é bonito."