User Friendly Install

Naheem Zaffar naheemzaffar at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:50:43 UTC 2005

From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Subject: Re: User Friendly Install
To: Development discussions related to Fedora Core
<fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:59:50AM +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
>> I do not know if Nautilus can have scriptable folders, or yum install
from
>> a local folder, so these could be issues that need to be worked on.

>Recent versions of yum can indeed install from local files (and solve
>dependencies using any enabled repositories), so something like what
>you'reproposing might be workable. I'm not convinced it's the best way, but
it
>wouldn't be terribly hard.
 Its not the most elegant solution, but it solves the problem at hand
without forcing package providers to provide a complete web architecture.
 The problem is allowing people to install packages without going into 'DLL
Hell'. The other solutions are far more elegant, but also far more work, as
they provide a complete new architecture.
 Instead of having an install folder, you can just use yum to install
instead of rpm when you (right)click on an rpm to install.