alsa-oss

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue May 31 14:47:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:42:34 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Honestly, IMO it seemed like quite a hack for Core use, especially
> since it would require per-app setup anyway. For Core I think the
> best thing to do is to make sure all apps are using ALSA natively.

Hack it is, but large numbers of apps still don't support ALSA properly.
We need backwards compatibility with OSS in a way that doesn't avoid dmix,
and alsa-oss provides that.

As to whether it should be in Core or Extras, well, it's not a large
program and it's the sort of thing that could end up being quite
frequently used. Especially as nearly every commercial game for Linux uses
OSS and not ALSA. But the criteria for core vs extras is a bit vague, I'm
not sure where it should be ... but alsa-oss feels like operating system
level software to me, as opposed to some app.

thanks -mike