status of up2date and rhn-applet

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:39:45 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05, Jack Tanner <ihok at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On the topic of notifications.... would it be possible for have room
> > in the notification metadata for a "repo notification"?  When a person
>
> Speaking generally, would it help the user experience if yum/pup could
> warn the user if a package installed from repo A is about to be replaced
> with a package from repo B?

That's not so easy to determine...  if you have package foo-1 from extras
and then extras pushes foo-2  and cleans out foo-1 from its directory
at some point. And then crappyrpms.org pushes foo-3... how does yum
know the foo-1 package you have installed is from extras?

You could implement a check against a change in signature... but the
worth of that is somewhat limited as well. for example I don't think
packages in updates-testing are signed with a different key than
updates-released so you just checking a change in signature doesn't
catch i change in repo.

-jef