FC5test1 devel freeze, November 14th

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Sat Nov 5 02:45:00 UTC 2005

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

>>> Yes:  #170690, #168933, #150985, #165914
>>>

>> If the camera is seen as a removable usb storage device, which it sounds
>> like these are, then yes it will.  The quick way to tell if it will fix
>> your problem is look in the /media directory. [...]
>>

> There is no need be so indirect. There's an lsusb dump in one of the
> innumeorus bugs which John filed. You do not even have to parse it
> yourself, David Zeuten pronounced the camera storage-incompatible
> in that bug (correctly).
>
> I am not completely convinced that this issue is worth fixing, because of
> security implications. However, it would be nice if someone came up with a configuration for pam and udev which would make console user the owner of
> /proc/bus/usb/*/*
>
> -- Pete

Be careful with my multiple bug reports. I've been posting reports for
over a year now to try to get some attention on this problem.  The
earliest reports
were for a Canon PowerShot G3, but the most recent are for a Canon
PowerShot Pro1.
I don't know that the protocols are the same.   I no longer have the G3,
so all I can
tell you is that the Pro1 doesn't work today (except as root).

What security implications?  Are you suggesting it would be better if
photographers
had to run gphoto2 as root to get their pictures?

Please, lets make this system useful for something other than
recompiling kernels!
How can I get my wife to use Linux if she can't process her photos!!!

It would be OK if the system administrator had to authorize a new camera
on the system.
But don't make me read any more out-of-date, inaccurate, howtos on
gphoto/hal/udev/hotplug/kitchensink...

I would like to help fix this if someone would provide some direction,
but right now
this USB stuff strikes me as a first class monster.

John