Sabayon Screencast

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:28:30 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> It seems like istanbul is doing a full screengrab for each frame. That
> can never compete with an XDamage based system like e.g. the gnome vnc
> server that I use with vnc2swf.

I could have sworn the gst coders were working on xdamage support for
the ximagesrc gst-plugin.  Instabul is a very thin layer over gst
really. The real magic is the gst pipeline. I wonder if anyone with
first hand gst development experience could comment on this more
accurately.

I never claimed the performance was the best, but this is the best
open solution we have right now. Since we can not ship a
flashplayer...yet... this community needs theora solutions... not
flash ones. Regardless of the present performance problems there are
certaintly benefits to working with this technology now.

-jef"wouldn't it be great if gst gained support for vnc session
capture directly to theora"spaleta