disappointment over default acpid config

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:44:10 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> So a small non-gui, shellscriptable version of g-p-m would do the trick?

It might do the trick... I don't screw around with things like mythtv
setups so I don't know specifically what those sort of dedicated boxes
would need at a minimum.  Want you want to avoid is having non-desktop
users having to re-invent the whole stack. Clearly dedicated usage
like HTPC systems will need to re-invent UI elements that integrate
with that non-desktop UI.. but the deeper bits that interact dbus and
hal you'd want as a reusable codebase that people can layer other UI
over.

A deamon that runs with or without X, and uses some systemwide
settings would seem to be the bare minimum. Above that, having a
cli/scriptable tool to change the system wide settings would be a
plus, or enough documentation about available settings to make using
gconftool reasonably straight forward after some reading. Above that a
library interface that anyone could hook into via their narrowly
purposed user interface... I think HTPC would probably be an example
that would benefit from a library interface...instead of hacking up a
cli script solution underneath their non-desktop ui.

Essentially... there needs to be a way to provide "traditional"
systemwide configuration similar to what /etc/acpi attempted to do,
that does not conflict with the g-p-m that may get started with a user
logins in. And of course you'd like any solution here to leverage hal
and dbus (a reason why just letting acpid be the default solution
isn't the best long term option)  This "traditional" systemwide model
will run until the "desktop" g-p-m is started and you transition to a
per-user management scenario.  The key idea here is that power
management is a "from bootup" issue, not a "from login" issue and
there needs to be a way to make some set of defaults active from the
moment the system boots up and continue to be active even if the per
user g-m-p never starts.

-jef

> Can you jump on the g-p-m m/l [1] and I'll see what I can do:

I'm on the list now.

-jef